Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Oil. It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Let's introduce the supporting cast: my portable filtration system. This consists of a 12-volt positive displacement pump filtering through a 5-micron household filter. I would prefer to use a 0.5 micron sock filter, but that is not only more expensive, but much larger. Since size is key here, this is what I'll use.

I used household hose fittings for speed, convenience, and the ability to close all valves, isolate or bypass the filter, disassembly, etc. It cost considerably more than a PVC setup, but I think the flexibility gained greatly outweighs the costs. Plus, having all metal fittings makes me feel more comfortable about the durability of my system.

Ingredients:

1 12-volt fuel transfer pump from harbor freight ($180 shipped)
2 y-valve fittings ($8)
4 pipe to garden hose adaptors ($16)
4 Hose barb adaptors ($16)
2 hose clamps($2)
3-4 feet of water heater hose 3/4 inch inner diameter (I.D.) ($4)
1 household water filtration housing ($16)
water filtration elements, 5 micron (~$3 each)

Total cost:~$250. Not bad.

I will have my promised photos up soon (can't find my camera's charger) and I'll give you a better description of what I did.

In the meantime, the major component can be found here:
http://www.harborfreight.com look for item 38842-0VGA.

I prefer it to the version manufactured by Northern Tools (their pump handle is plastic).

No comments:

Post a Comment