Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Internet Exploder

So, it has been a long time since I was a fan of Microsoft (it's true! I used to enjoy using their software!), and this recent event has done little to endear me to the company and its products.

In designing the main website, I worked exclusively with a Powerbook running Firefox to verify that my work displayed correctly in a browser. If you look at the site with Firefox, you'll see how it was intended to display.

And here is how Internet Explorer renders it:













If you've never seen it - everything lines up in the center of the page, not messed up like this...

Lesson learned: don't assume that Internet Explorer is in any way standards compliant. I.E. mangles that which it does not understand.

I am unable to completely fix the problem with IE, but I built a template that renders much more nicely in I.E. (not perfectly, mind you, just better), and I'm working to convert the entire site over to the new version. Firefox users will see little to no difference between the templates, but IE users notice a big improvement when I'm done.

In the meantime, if you still use Internet Explorer as your browser of choice, may I suggest a more advanced, faster, more secure, better looking, and more flexible alternative?

No comments:

Post a Comment